Monday, May 18, 2009

It's a school, for cryin' out loud

Apparently, the state legislature is considering requiring the University of Virginia to accept a higher number of applicants from inside the Commonwealth than it already does. Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, and a former UVA professor, spoke out against the legislation at commencement yesterday.

Does this sound at all to anyone else like affirmative action? Requiring colleges to favor a particular type of student from a particular background?

UVA, like all colleges and universities, keeps its doors open with tuition money. Out-of-state tuition, as everyone knows, is higher than in-state. If they can draw more money from a student living in Maryland or Kentucky or California, then let them.

And what's the rationale behind the legislation, anyway? Protectionism? Virginians are more worthy of an education there than residents of other states? I'm not quite sure I understand why they need this legislation. Don't colleges want to draw students from other states? Some, like Duke University and UNC, aggressively recruit from all across the country.

I'm a little biased, I suppose. I personally consider Virginia to be one of the greatest states in the nation. I want more people to come here and see what a great place the Commonwealth is. I want them to stay for a few years, and then go back to their homes and make the rest of the country more like us. But, that's just me talking. It's hardly a rationale for sound admissions regulations.

Still, since I can't exactly fathom what the current rationale is, I can't really say that it's superior to my own. *shrugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment